Justin and I woke early Saturday morning and made the drive up to Santa Rosa for the annual Levi's Gran Fondo Event. 7,500 cyclists ride either a century (100 miles), a metric century (65 miles), or a shorter 40 mile course, to help support the Livestrong and the Santa Rosa Community. We were signed up to ride in the metric century. A number of Justin's coworkers were also set to ride either the full century or the metric century. I was definitely excited and nervous to start in such a mass of people. By the time we got to the start line 20 minutes after the start, I was much calmer.
Our ride started off great as we made our way from Santa Rosa through Occidental and out to Route 1. The weather was cool and cloudy, which was perfect for our 65 miles. Riding down the coast was as spectacular as you would imagine. As we turned away from Route 1 and onto Coleman Valley Road, I was feeling good. And then we got to the hill... I was determined to stay on my bike, which was probably a bad idea in the long run. I was glad to make it to the top, but the next 15 miles of cramping in my legs diminished the pride I felt in reaching the top without walking.
I tried every trick I know to stop cramping - I ate a banana, chips (for the salt), got a Ibuprofen, drank electrolytes, and keep shaking out my muscles. About an hour later, I finally felt just tired! Of course Justin felt great and was a trooper just to slow down enough to stick with me. What a great husband I have =)
Our ride started off great as we made our way from Santa Rosa through Occidental and out to Route 1. The weather was cool and cloudy, which was perfect for our 65 miles. Riding down the coast was as spectacular as you would imagine. As we turned away from Route 1 and onto Coleman Valley Road, I was feeling good. And then we got to the hill... I was determined to stay on my bike, which was probably a bad idea in the long run. I was glad to make it to the top, but the next 15 miles of cramping in my legs diminished the pride I felt in reaching the top without walking.
I tried every trick I know to stop cramping - I ate a banana, chips (for the salt), got a Ibuprofen, drank electrolytes, and keep shaking out my muscles. About an hour later, I finally felt just tired! Of course Justin felt great and was a trooper just to slow down enough to stick with me. What a great husband I have =)